Ruminations

Blog dedicated primarily to randomly selected news items; comments reflecting personal perceptions

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Life In Brief

We've become more appreciative of - everything that surrounds us. When we feel comfortable, we are comforted. When we feel the emergence of a new phase of our elderly lives it is discomfiting.

Tacitly recognizing our mortality, everything that surrounds us shines with a new meaning. The transcendence of being. Of being a part of the living harmony of the sphere we inhabit. Moving about in the natural landscape, everything our eyes light upon looks brighter, more beautiful than we had formerly perceived.

We clutch our living selves in a dimly realized poignancy of the transitory nature of being.

Here one moment - even if that moment is expressed in the years from infancy to adulthood, a lifetime of memories, shared and cherished - and then, suddenly we are aged, though not yet infirm.

When I speak with my sister, four years younger than me, and so not yet aged beyond 70, she sounds cynical, tired, morose, and spent. I chide her, knowing as I do, that I have no right to do so. Life has not been as kind to her as it has been, to me.

She, after all, has not been the recipient of a love as deep and encompassing as that I share with my life-twin. We live for one another, find expression in each other, discover value in life through our shared communion. That is our great comfort, our yearning to be together forever.

Forever does not exist in the lexicon of human vocabulary expressed by the life-cycle of human beings. We are motes of stardust, temporarily transformed into living, breathing, animate and mind-full beings.

This is not the kind of introspection I choose. This is not a comforting line of thought. This sad reality is, however, truth. Accepting it makes it no more palatable.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
()() Follow @rheytah Tweet